Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tristan Wilds Explains How ’90210′ Will Be Different Next Year


[photo: Tristan Wilds w/ Tanya & Spike Lee]

Dominican actor Tristan Wilds spoke exclusively to Latina.com about his costar, Trevor Donovan getting fired from 90210, why Donovan’s gay character was good for TV, and how the show will be different next season.

Will you be back on 90210 next season?

Yes, sir. I’m back and ready for college!

In the season 3 finale, your character Dixon announced he wasn’t going to California University with his friends, but rather to Pepperdine University. Is that still the case?


As of right now, I believe he’s going to Pepperdine. I’m actually having a sit-down with the new show runners to talk about storyline and where we’re going…But yes, he’s still going to Pepperdine.

It was recently announced that one of your costars, Trevor Donovan, was fired from the show. Are you sad to see him go?


Yes. Trevor is a real cool dude. That was like my homeboy. We all kind of glued together like a family and he’s a real cool dude. I’m not super mad at it because I understand the reason – you don’t want to beat a dead horse with the story line. And i know that the show runners have this amazing idea of how they’re going to end everything for him. So I’m not as mad as I would be if it just happened out of the blue.

Does Trevor want to leave the show?


I don’t think he wants to leave at all. He wants to continue for the fans, but I think the show runners and him came to the realization that it would be… the reason they had him on there was to speak on the topic {of being gay} and to keep him there would take away from the sweetness of bringing up a topic like that.

Do you think it was good for the show to have a gay character?

It definitely was. It brought up a topic that is occurring in popular America right now—not even just popular America, in America, period! They introduced him at such a pivotal time in our culture, when a lot of kids were being bullied for being gay. I think introducing Teddy as a gay character not only gave those kids a voice, but also gave them someone to look up to and someone to really say ‘Hey, it’s not corny. I don’t have to be afraid of this. Someone understands me and it’s right here on television.’

Are you currently working on any other projects?


I’m working on a mix tape. Genre-wise, I’m aiming toward a bluegrass-ish, maybe like a biography and memoirs realm [Laughs]… I want it to be very soulful and it’s definitely going to have some R & B, some soul, and some hip-hop infused in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment